Are you afraid of the dentist? You have not been to the dentist for many years because of fear? Did you have a bad experience as a child? Do not worry, we can help you!
Nowadays, thanks to advances and new technologies, dentistry has evolved and there are no painful or aggressive treatments, apart from which the procedures are more comfortable and faster.
It is common for people who are afraid of the dentist for years without going to revisions or receiving treatments, with the respective neglect of their oral health, this deterioration of the mouth produces a feeling of discomfort, guilt, remorse and lack of self-confidence. This anxiety increases the fear of the dentist as it makes us more sensitive to harmful stimuli.
Take note of these tricks to try to help you overcome your fear of the dentist:
- Communicate your fears to your dentist, he will understand you, ask him all the questions you need to gain confidence.
- In the first visit you will have a general check-up, take the opportunity to ask all the questions and ask your dentist to show you the clinic, the procedures, examples and everything you need.
- To avoid fear of the unknown your dentist will follow a previously established order that you will remember before each appointment to go with confidence.
- You can be accompanied by a relative or friend and take music if you prefer to evade.
- Ask for early appointments to be more relaxed and not back out.
If all this is still not enough do not worry, consult your dentist about sedation, it is a safe and simple way to relax the patient with anxiety to facilitate the treatment and make it more bearable, since it relaxes the patient reducing anxiety, fear and the perception of the duration of treatments.